BBQ Sauce for Chicken Recipejaypeg
Makes enough sauce for 2-3 chickens.
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons brown sugar (use 2 for a more tangy sauce)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon of rubbed sage
1/2 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Chili Willy peppers, minced (use more/less depending on your heat tolerance) – Grow Your Own Chilli Willies Kit Here.
2 cans (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
2 drops hickory or mesquite liquid smoke (optional)
1. Combine water, brown sugar, salt, cracked pepper, mustard, and remaining herbs to form a paste.
2. Sauté onion, garlic and peppers in olive oil until onions are translucent, but do not allow to brown.
3. Add tomato sauce, lemon juice and herb paste to pan.
4. Add liquid smoke, if desired (not necessary if you will be using an outdoor grill).
5. Simmer mixture gently, without covering, for 10-15 minutes. Stirring occasionally, until mixture slightly thickens.
Sauce can be used immediately but the flavor profile is better a day or more later as the ingredients meld together.
Use this sauce to brush on chickens during the last 10-15 minutes of grilling or brush on rotisserie chicken as a basting sauce.
Food Safety Tip:
Separate out only the portion that you will use and refrigerate the rest. Discard any sauce remaining in which you have dipped the basting brush after cooking is done.
User contributed: Barbeque Sauce for Chicken Recipe by Mark Gagermeier.